Monday, February 9, 2009

Nature Re-Defined


This is my second piece for Interpretive. My 'thesis' for the semester is to create 40s/50s style posters/advertisements selling inventions/creations that represent modern day issues. The 'inventions' attempt to fix problems that are actually irreparable. This poster deals with biological engineering. While I think there are definitely positive aspects to bio-engineering, there are also some ridiculous uses. This illustration is an insane exaggeration, but makes you think twice about the issue. The text (which you can't read in this version...and I am probably going to adjust) first describes how this 'new meat' eliminates the need for variety in meat since it contains all the benefits meat from 6 different animals. The disclaimer at the bottom notes that the animal can also carry every disease that the original animals carry. The other reason I am using a 40s/50s style approach to the posters is to satirize the optimistic views of those days in comparison to the sometimes scared/ un-optimistic sense that I get from culture today. I hope this makes some sense...it (kind of?) does to me...and if I question myself too much on it, I'll get no pretty paintings done... I know this piece is very Di Genova-ish (sorry Nick!)...but I think it fits my thesis really well.

2 comments:

pete ryan said...

wow!!!!

vicki said...

holy hand lettering batman.
and oh my, the colour. the wondrous colour...